[kwlug-disc] rcs (git?) integration/prevalence? [Was: CSS: varying colours based on inheritance]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jul 7 12:44:22 EDT 2011

Chris Frey wrote, On 07/07/2011 12:05 PM:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:50:39AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> Which, perhaps, makes my point? That we probably don't use it as often
>> as we should?
>
> Probably.  But I'm not sure GUI is the answer.

And I'm not sure I've expressed this very well.

My premise on this conversation was Joe User, whom may never use the
command line.

And for GUI, not sure I was thinking so much a separate gui, as,
whatever file open / close they were already in the gui of,
integrating with git. Perhaps a checkbox?

I guess that assumes a universal / kernel / distro / gui / desktop
file open/close dialogue box.

>>> When working things into everyday use, I've found git to be very
>>> easy to add, since it's just a 'git init' away from being present
>>> in any directory.
>> But, does that presume you're at the command line?
>
> Yep.
>
>> I'm thinking of that openoffice file, or your development IDE.
>
> I'm file-oriented with my computing.  Doesn't matter if it's a text
> file or openoffice file.  Bash is my IDE.  I know I'm odd. :-)

Right, but even in your case, if you use openoffice and open or close
a file, even you are in a gui.

>> Almost feels like this is a file system thing. Which (such facility)
>> is perhaps already present?
>
> Now we're talking.  This is where history belongs for the end user,
> in my opinion.  Always on.  And a GUI to search for something old
> that they lost.

Not just lost, but roll back a file version.

> I think it's a wishlist item, though, on Linux.  I've only heard of
> something like this on Novell Netware.

So ... going back to square one ... presumably git, as it currently
stands, is the facility to use. And assuming openoffice / Joe User /
no command line ... a possible lug presentation topic - gui rcs, such
as it is, integrated with everyday use (non-command line), such as the
'technology' exists, today.

*NO* - I'm still not offering to present it.

Perhaps this just isn't possible, it being left to each app, or the
filesystem. I wonder if there's a git plugin for openoffice.