[kwlug-disc] rcs (git?) integration/prevalence? [Was: CSS: varying colours based on inheritance]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jul 7 11:50:39 EDT 2011

Chris Frey wrote, On 07/07/2011 11:23 AM:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:14:19AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> Granted, we've had various scc topics presented recently. Not sure if
>> from a GUI perspective / integrated into one's normal daily use, though.
>
> In my experience, SCM use is not really a GUI operation.

Which, perhaps, makes my point? That we probably don't use it as often
as we should?

> This seems to be supported by the git user survey as well:

Same comment.

> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSurvey2010#10._What_Git_interfaces.2C_implementations_and_frontends_do_you_use.3F
>
> When working things into everyday use, I've found git to be very
> easy to add, since it's just a 'git init' away from being present
> in any directory.

But, does that presume you're at the command line?

I'm thinking of that openoffice file, or your development IDE.

Granted:
- openoffice has its own revision facility.
- IDE's probably have rcs facility calls built in.

But, presumably, not everything has one of the above.

Does this seem to point out that rcs needs (should? could?) to be
buried within (not that we like hidden things) within the kernel? Or,
rather, somehow, not sure where, better integrated into normal current
'workflow'?

Almost feels like this is a file system thing. Which (such facility)
is perhaps already present?