[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 21:24:02 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> Here is the article I was referencing.. Unless this has changed, then
> TekkSavvy and Execulink are getting away with Highway robbering and blaming
> the CRTC.
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/10/28/crtc-usage-based-billing-internet.html

I think you've been duped by out-of-date media coverage (that article is ~5
months old).

As of march 1st I'll be paying ~$31/month for 25GB of usage. Each additional
GB is $1.90, or ~$4 for a 40GB block of "insurance" up to $55 for 275GB or
something like that. This seems to match other ISPs who have to implment
UBB that I've seen. If you navigate the Bell website you'll find that their
~5Mbps is priced excatly the same.

The CRTC has essentially said: no more competition.

So I don't think  Teksavvy has done anything wrong. :)
(I really do like them, but I'm going to vote with my money...)