[kwlug-disc] mythtv hardware

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Jan 20 17:52:51 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> I had assumed that a remote IVR device was required because I put a
> movie in and couldn't get the keyboard to select 'play'. I guess I
> just
> need to figure out how to do that.

In fact you need to know how to get LIRC to work. It maps remote buttons to keystrokes based on the active applications. So play can work differently with mplayer than with another player.

> However for this case I think we want a remote. It's going in the home
> gym so we can download spin videos and similiar while on the
> treadmill/bike. Unless I create a treadmill keyboard
> holder........That's gonna cause an accident though :).
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to switch between watching stored movies,
> live cable tv, and internet movies (like those downloadable spin
> videos)
> all from one box.

LIRC set up can take a little time. You run a program, point the remote at the IR receiver and the screen displays the keystrokes. You can use any remote. I bet you could even use two different remotes at the same time.

The Hauppauge PVR-350/250/150 comes with a remote and an IR receiver. You can also get an IRBlaster/Reciever in either serial or USB for about $20.
--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware