[kwlug-disc] [OT] Diagnosing voip and Tomato

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Feb 24 19:52:57 EST 2011

Sorry for the mildly off topic but there's so many voip experts here.

I'm trying to increase my call quality.  Whenever I'm on a business call
and it gets choppy, my current solution is to holler 'GET OFF YOUTUBE'
to the kids.  It's a cheap and reliable solution but I'm looking for a
less intrusive alternative.  I've just changed voip server hardware, but
that's not resolved it, still gets choppy if downloading something.

What's the next step?  I've got a QOS router but the internet says it
only fixes upstream traffic, not downstream.  Seems odd to me, but
sure.  If I went with the old standby linksys and installed tomato on
it, would that likely be the reasonable next step in fixing the choppy voip?

The only other thing I've got in the mix is a dell switch that connects
all my various ethernet ports, but it's all 10/100 and commercial
quality, so I can't see how that would be the problem.