[kwlug-disc] cloud pbx (voip.ms) conversations ...[Was: Re: Asterisk: SIP vs IAX]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Feb 21 21:00:22 EST 2011

Paul - why would voip.ms be blacklisted at the office? Or any such
telephony, for that matter. (What are the concerns?)

Based on messages in the list, mostly Raul's, I've done rather more
poking at voip.ms. Not using it yet, but seriously thinking about it.

Including sending support questions - and getting pretty quick

One thing I found out is that one can register, for free, and poke
about. Until you register, you can't see any of the rich functionality
  that Raul mentioned. And since SIP to SIP calls should be free,
voip.ms can be used without charge, if I understand correctly. So you
can check things out without laying out cash.

Having now seen the functionality available - it's pretty impressive.
As Raul says, so far, anything I've thought of I might want to do, I
can do there and not have to have a box here - one less thing to maintain.

Have I been behind a dark cloud - it seems to me such on-line PBX
services are relatively recent, at least for reasonable costs.
Googling around, it seems that more are coming - is the industry still
in a considerable state of 'flux'?

Like Raul noted, I see voip.ms and callcentric quite a bit. The
biggest difference seems to be a paradigm change - agents for
callcentric vs. sub-accounts for voip.ms. Since callcentric is out of
the U.S., and voip.ms out of Montreal, I'll ignore callcentric.

I have a solid impression that I need to layout a call flow / dialplan
for myself before proceeding further. One of the startling things I
encountered (via support) was that calling out and calling in are now
two different things. I guess I'm still traversing the VoIP learning
curve. So, I could get a DID in Victoria for my Uncle to call me
without charge, but any call I make to him will always be charged at
the same rate. Thus, a DID in Victoria doesn't let me make local calls
to Victoria at the same local rates as I might experience here.
HOWEVER - it's the same rate, 24x7, anywhere in Canada, local or
otherwise. So there's a bit of a mindset adjustment.

At some point I'll fire up my SPA3102 again, but a couple of questions
occur to me.

With the SPA I'll be able to connect to, but not register, with other
VoIP services, such as Ekiga. But do I really have any reason to?
[Until I encounter someone who is only on such a network, and I want
to talk to them. Which would be strange, given the number of other
mechanisms for communication - be it instant messaging, skype, or
e-mail?] Especially when such things as SipBroker are out there, and
the SPA will be able to receive sip calls directly
(//sip:mysip at mydomain.org). For that matter, SipBroker makes me think
even a DID might not be necessary, for personal use at any rate.

It seems to me that the difference between my own box and a virtual
box is control of the routing ('dialplan'?) out? Incoming, whether the
box is 'out there' or 'in here' the rules you set up are the rules you
set up. But going out - given the 'limited' functionality of the ATA,
the difference seems to be loss of local / direct control. Am I
comprehending this correctly? Is it even a concern? [If one is not
calling a DID, no richness of connectivity has been lost. If one is
... well you have to get over to the POTS side somehow.]

Since calls between voip.ms sub-accounts are free, aside from the
outgoing / incoming traffic, even the advantage of internal asterisk
intercom calls staying local seems diminished. Which is to say, Raul
might still not have needed his own asterisk box for his Android PDA's
to be able to call home without charge. [But I get his whole, let's
check this out, point of his effort.]

Thoughts, suggestions, clarity?