[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Feb 1 11:33:59 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:41, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> same?  Most DSL resellers haven't announced the new UBB rates at all, and
> some still selling unlimited plans on year contract (no doubt they will
> regret that when they are left holding the Bell invoice.)

MNSI and Primus seem to list the same rates:

"Existing 5 Meg High Speed Internet plans will now have 25 GB
(gigabytes) of monthly usage included. Usage in excess of this amount,
but less than 300 GB will be billed at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00
per month in addition to the regular monthly charge." -
http://mnsi.net/

"25 GB of monthly usage***, Additional monthly usage plans start at
only $5" - http://primus.ca/en/residential/internet/internetServices-DSL-Ontario.htm

> What I have against TekkSavvy, assuming I didn't miss something that makes
> me grossly wrong, is that on one side of the mouth they are making public
> announcements about how they don't like the new UBB and how the rates are
> insanely high, and on the other, they are setting prices that give them over
> 100% mark-up on CRTC approved UBB.

>From what I've seen, the rates are required to be discounted 15% for
wholesalers, so $1.70/GB to a max of $51/mo. Most ISPs seem to have
just charged $2 like Bell. Teksavvy seems to charge $1.90/GB. It's
still more than the minimum, but seems to be the lowest yet.

What I'm curious about, after looking into this is it seems to *only*
be residential accounts. Teksavvy (and others) still list unlimited
business accounts. I'm not sure what the deal is there, but I'm
curious.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>