[kwlug-disc] Specs for new home rig - Opinions and recommendation wanted

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 09:58:32 EDT 2011

It got settled and bought.

CPU - AMD 1100T Black edition: The 1090T was on sale but the price difference wasn't that much.
MOBO - ASUSM5A88-V EVO: Fits well with the processor and provides good overclocking functions
RAM - 8 GB @1866 MHz: I decided to get faster RAM even if I got less. I can always add more.
PSU - Enermax Tomahawk II 550W: Seemed better than the OCZ

Total tally, right on my original budget
Regarding the Intel/AMD comparisons. Yes, you can get faster Intel, but for the same price you get the same comparative performance. For my purposes I think 6 cores are better than 4 even if the overall performance for an individual task is the same.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx