[kwlug-disc] Specs for new home rig - Opinions and recommendation wanted

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 06:25:28 EDT 2011

> From my tomshardware reading, the intel cpu's significantly outperform
anything AMD, and AMD isn't

I think your probably correct Bill, but my wife's quad core AMD
significantly outperforms anything else we have in the house. Raul will
probably be happy at least for a couple of years with that set-up, except I
didn't see video cards mentioned other than the on-board.

I'm not sure how good the OCZ PSU is. OCZ are well known for their memory.
To me the PSU is critical since it's where all your power is coming into the
system. It doesn't matter if you have a terrahertz CPU and supported
motherboard if the system gets fried quickly. Not saying the OCZ isn't good,
I just haven't researched it.

Cheers,

Charles McColm,
The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux