[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Aug 20 23:59:00 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-20 23:44, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Forking is not always in the best interest of the forker. They take on
> full responsibility of the fork, such as new features and security
> updates, the more time passes, the wider the gap, and the more of a
> burden it becomes, specially with a smaller or no community to contribute.

I understand that is exactly what has happened in the Linux fork that
serves as the underpinnings of Android. Some of Google's changes were
rejected for inclusion in the main trunk with the result that Android
fork is divergent from the main trunk. Google now 'owns' the fork - as
well as the Android super-set thereof. And, as suggested by Khalid, the
fork does not have the support community.

Ref:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-on-android-the-linux-fork/9426

jsquared