[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 20 23:44:18 EDT 2011

Forking is not always in the best interest of the forker. They take on full
responsibility of the fork, such as new features and security updates, the
more time passes, the wider the gap, and the more of a burden it becomes,
specially with a smaller or no community to contribute.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Colin K <colin at void11.com> wrote:

> I'm just shocked that none of these companies have tried just simply
> forking an android distro of their own for their own devices.  or is the
> licencing not really that open?
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:
>
>> **
>> On 2011-08-18 22:45, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>>
>> It would be significant if they licensed QNX for other hardware vendors,
>>

>> QNX remains a software product in its own right.
>>
>> However, the adaptation of the QNX "ecosystem" to mobile devices appears
>> to be RIM specific.
>>

>> In looking over the "new releases" on the QNX website http://www.qnx.com/
>>
>> I note that there has been a lot of business activity - outside of the
>> RIM's mobile development sphere - since the April 2010 acquisition of the
>> company by RIM.
>>
>> And, I suspect that this non-RIM mobile business activity will remain.
>>
>> jsquared

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com