[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Aug 21 00:19:17 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 08/20/2011 11:48 PM:
>
>  By the way, the guy who started CyanogenMod has now been employed by
>> Samsung
>> as of a week ago.
>>

> Hmmm. Interesting. Mail will cease to become gmail centric, etc.?
> Forthcoming fork of some extent?

No. They just install the Gmail app from the market.

Just like GPL restrictions means something is not bundled, but nothing
stopping you from installing it yourself.

> Especially in light of Samsung saying Google purchase of Motorola just fine
> with them.
>
> I'm guessing due to reassurances Google to Samsung, and original agreement
> language including perpetual rights and access to using Gmail, etc.
>
> Not that we need more OS fragmentation - let Android take over the world,
> not be distracted by others, then focus on making it 'better'. (Sorry, sound
> like MS on Internet Explorer / netscape, I guess.)

I don't think any of that means fragmentation for Android.

> To points made elsewhere, iPhone has succeeded due to larger ecosystem than
> just iPhone.

The difference is Apple owns every component of the ecosystem except the
aftermarket accessories and the apps. They own the hardware, they own the
operating system, they own the store. You can't install anything until you
jailbreak the phone.

With Android, it is only the operating system and app store (market) that
they control, but you don't need jailbreaking to install non-market app, and
you have lots of choice for hardware manufacturers.

RIM is troubled by lack of such ecosystem.

Absoultely! And the great keyboards and other features are not helping with
such a crucial feature it is lacking.

> Android is on pads too (AFAIK) - is the Android ecosystem larger than that?
> Coming to a refrigerator near you?

Crystal ball is murky. Anything is possible. Heard of home automation on
Android, and perhaps use in cars made in China.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.