[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Aug 18 14:22:30 EDT 2011

Or ... any OS?

Any OS is just an interface to the hardware, usually bringing a set of
more common interfaces to that hardware. The OS interfaces to the CPU,
you, the next higher level up application, don't care what CPU it is,
you just trust that there is a CPU there, the nature of which is not
your problem. You can extent the analogy to a filesystem, and beyond
to an app. An editor interacts via API's with the CPU for keyboard and
screen, or more likely a windowing system, including 'write my file to
the filesystem.' As pointed out elsewhere, java does much the same
thing, as do VM's as you point out. I can't imagine Android, on any
platform, isn't similarly 'virtualized'.

Hysterically, as one moves up the API food chain, things get slower
and slower (early java), so I take your point.

I used QNX heavily a long time ago, very nice. QNX 2, never made it to
QNX 4 (Posix). Throughout it has been admired as a PC pre-emptive
multi-tasking OS - one of the very few or only to be truly
pre-emptive, and truly multi-tasking. ['Starting' with QNX4 they
changed paths to a much more heavy emphasis on embedded systems. Thus,
I presume, RIM's purchase.]

My Palm suffers, badly, from the lack of a pre-emptive multi-tasking
system.

Today's Android phones ... is the OS truly multi-tasking / pre-emptive?

If not, will such benefit of QNX brought to the RIM handsets be ...
market changing?

If so, and such benefits accrue significantly to Android on RIM, will
RIM's handsets not be something to keep a very close eye on?