[kwlug-disc] VPN, Proxies, and Security

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Aug 13 14:38:37 EDT 2011

With the recent security talk going on, I've been motivated to solve my
laptop security issue.

I consider my laptop itself to be secure enough (strong passphrase on
LUKS partitions). Most of my communication is over SSH (key only) or
SSLified sites. I'd still prefer to encrypt *everything* outbound to
another site I control.

Is anybody else doing this? Did you set up a VPN? SOCKS proxy?

I'm thinking if I set up a VPN, and hard-code a routing rule to set my
internal router as the default route, then in theory I should be able to
get non-vpn routing on my internal network, and have no internet
connectivity on other networks until I enable my VPN.

Thoughts?

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca