[kwlug-disc] VPN, Proxies, and Security

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 13 14:59:37 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 02:38:37PM -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:

> I consider my laptop itself to be secure enough (strong passphrase on
> LUKS partitions). Most of my communication is over SSH (key only) or
> SSLified sites. I'd still prefer to encrypt *everything* outbound to
> another site I control.
>
> Is anybody else doing this? Did you set up a VPN? SOCKS proxy?

Of course I am not doing this. I am not a criminal. Why would I have
anything to hide?

Having said that, I will neither confirm nor deny that I have seen
documentation on doing this with OpenVPN:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#redirect

You can probably make this work with sshuttle too, but I have not
looked into that.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org