[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT: DHCP/VLAN problems

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 19 12:59:52 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:28:28AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:

I finally got something working, but not with Backfire. I had to drop
down to Kamikaze.

One thing to note is that a stanza like

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_0'
        option 'device' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan' '2'
        option 'ports' '0 1 4t 5t'

is probably not right. For some reason it looks like OpenWRT wants
your vlan_switch name to match the vlan you are using, so to use VLAN
2 you want

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_2'
        option 'device' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan' '2'
        option 'ports' '0 1 4t 5t'

the "t" in 5t is assumed, so the following also works:

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_2'
        option 'device' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan' '2'
        option 'ports' '0 1 4t 5'

I don't know why Backfire is broken. Given that my setup is so
specialized, I don't even know how to file a bug report in a coherent
way.

I discovered that although traffic travelled to clients on the switch,
no traffic went through the switch itself.

Probably I could simplify the setup and come up with something I could
report a bug on, but given that I have trashed one $70 router already
I am less than inclined to do so.

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org