[kwlug-disc] Multi-zone question for the audio gurus

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 13 18:57:29 EDT 2011

Chris Irwin wrote, On 04/13/2011 1:51 PM:
 > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:40, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
 >
 >> Just checking ... so you're expecting to walk back to the
originating room
 >> if you want to change songs / playlists / stations / whatever?
 >>

 > Nope. mpd is client/server, so the server plays and clients
control. I've
 > got mpd clients installed on my laptop and my desktop, as well as
my phone
 > (but I have to be on wifi).
 >

 >> Hmm. Wonder if wireless makes sense here. In essence, it's a
broadcast.

 > Why go wireless when you can go wired? Plus I'd have to buy new
equipment
 > for each room.

Now I'm very confused.

You asked about running wire from a server to sound equipment in each
room. No mention of a PC.

Now you're talking a client. That is presumably hooked up to and
controls speakers (or receivers or whatever).

So ... why is each client not controlling the sound / why do you need
additional wire? And, it seems to me Brent has shown in the past that
sound on a machine in directly net addressable.

So if you're ethernet wired, why not use / transit it? Be it directly,
or via the clients.