[kwlug-disc] Multi-zone question for the audio gurus

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Apr 13 20:41:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 06:57:29PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Now I'm very confused.
>
> You asked about running wire from a server to sound equipment in
> each room. No mention of a PC.
>
> Now you're talking a client. That is presumably hooked up to and
> controls speakers (or receivers or whatever).

MPD is a client/server. In the simplest form, which I'm using, it
consists of a daemon that plays music from the filesystem. Clients
connect to that daemon over the network and tell it which songs to play,
etc.

What I'd like to do is queue up an album or two on my PC, then head to
another room (which does not contain a PC) and continue listening there.

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki

> So ... why is each client not controlling the sound / why do you
> need additional wire? And, it seems to me Brent has shown in the
> past that sound on a machine in directly net addressable.

'Control' client does not neccessarily mean it would be sound capable,
or in every room. The sound devices I'm running wires to are just dumb
outputs (stereos).

The client I'll be using the most is likely my B&N Nook Color android
tablet. The speakers on that are.. well..  Other clients are on my cell
phone and my PC.

I plan on running some leads to a weather-safe box in the yard. Plug
in my portable stereo, and I have my entire music library available,
controlled via my cell phone while I'm at the BBQ.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
w: http://chrisirwin.ca