[kwlug-disc] Asking questions of candidates during the election.

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Apr 1 12:07:10 EDT 2011

Splitting the vote isn't always as simple as that.  And sometimes voting
for the party that doesn't have a chance, gives them a chance.

Remember Bob Rae?  I was at Canada's Wonderland the next day with
friends, asked my buddy who he'd voted for.  Bob Rae, as a protest vote,
knowing he'd never get in.  I had done the same.  So had apparently a
lot of the rest of Ontario.  Wouldn't vote Liberal or Conservative in
that election, so threw my vote out as a deliberate 'none of the
above'.  And Bob Rae got elected.  He was probably surprised as the rest
of us :).

Kitchener (or was it waterloo) saw how important one or two votes were
in the last election when Frank Etherington got elected by a slim margin
after three recounts.

My suggestion is to leverage your vote.  Pick your candidate and help
them.  Donate time or money, whatever you have more of.  Do some action
that's above and beyond just casting your vote.