[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 16 12:06:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:49:22 am Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > I am using Kubuntu and therefore don't see these issues with Plymouth
> > or Pulse.
>
> I'm running Kubuntu as well.  Plymouth isn't used for obvious reasons, but
> Pulse drives me nuts.

I don't see pulse running on my laptop.

> > Video works well with all the 3D effects that were not there on older
> > releases, since I downgraded to VESA initially, then uses the i915
> > driver.
>
> Any special PPA?

No.

I did something like that on old releases (was it 8.04?), but have not done
that on 9.10 or 10.04.

I assume the i915 is the one from the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.

Nothing special here.

lspci says I have the following:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

And here it is with -vn in case you want to compare device IDs and drivers.

00:00.0 0600: 8086:2a40 (rev 07)
        Subsystem: 1179:ff1e
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information <?>
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
        Kernel modules: intel-agp

00:02.0 0300: 8086:2a42 (rev 07)
        Subsystem: 1179:ff1e
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 5110 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable+
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
00:1b.0 0403: 8086:293e (rev 03)
        Subsystem: 1179:ff1e
        Memory at d6800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
        Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

> The only audio problem I see is when Flash gets pegged, and prevent
> > other applications (e.g. Amarok) from using sound. When this happens
> > I see npviewer.bin taking 100% of one core, and kill it. This being a
> > 64-bit install, only Flash's process get killed, not the entire Firefox
> > browser.
>
> Maybe that's the issue. I have seen Flash hang quite a bit and yes, it pegs
> the CPU. 64-bit install here as well, although I use Chrome.  Killing
> npviewer.bin is a daily occurance. :-)

I have a widget in the task bar that shows CPU utilization. When I see one
core pegged at 100%, I click it and it pops up system activity and
npviewer.bin
will be using 49% (i.e. almost one core), and I kill it.

Yes, it hangs with Chrome too.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.