[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Sep 16 10:48:23 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 20:16, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists
account) <aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> manager. Pull in Gnome's and I've got a great little system.  It's a shame
> that Ubuntu simply cannot get audio working and that they push the bleeding
> edge a little much (again see Paul's comments -- all VERY valid)... it's still
> the best distro for the masses (and most geeks, IMO).

Pulse (and other new features) are a kind of a chicken-and-egg
problem. Pulseaudio works perfectly for me on my laptop (whatever
sound chip is integrated into intel motherboards nowdays) and desktop
(Asus Xonar DX, "oxygen" chipset). I quite frequently use pulse to
route audio between machines, hotplug sound devices, the per-app
volume is quite useful, and generally think it is the greatest thing
since sliced bread. I guess it isn't there yet for everybody.

I'd hate to compare with another OS, but Windows 7 has a bug with
firewire that prevents me and apparently anybody with a similar
motherboard to me (Asus P5B, whether firewire is integrated or added
on) from actually shutting down the machine. I worked around that
issue, but suspend and resume still is completely broken and does not
work, possibly related to the same issue. I just live with the fact
that my one Win7 machine has a horribly broken and inferior user
experience. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to find microsoft's
equivalent of bugzilla, and there is no equivalent to dmesg from what
I can find. So I have no idea how to fix, work around, or report this
issue. I gave up. And I paid for that.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>