[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Wed Sep 15 20:16:34 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 15, 2010 07:42:14 pm R. Brent Clements wrote:
> Once again (couple of bugs aside) it is the arguement about whether to
> show debug info to people who can't debug their system.
>
> I think it is time for any disro that wants to appeal to both the
> tech-savy AND the tech-slow to start asking during install.

It's really not a big deal to get aroudn this. I've altered the gub config so
that it displays the menu no matter what, and if I have trouble booting
(almost never, maybe once or twice since I've owned this 3yo laptop), it's a
simple matter to "e"dit the config and erase the quiet and splash.

> Having said that, I would chose to leave the debug stuff on

See above. I too have an Intel GMA950 system and run itno the same accelerated
video troubles that Paul mentions. I just turn it off. Sad but whatever. Hardy
wasn't any better, to be honest. I don't run Plymouth.

I rather LIKE that it's slick and glossy. This is exactly what Linux needs.
The difference between slick and glossy Windows and slick and glossy Linux is
that it's trivial for me to get under the hood and tweak with Linux.

Case in point: I grabbed the ubuntu kernel source, added a keyboard quirk that
prevented my volume knob from working correctly (forever, my patch goes
uncommitted), tweak a few other things and I'm up off to the races.  Since it's
sync'd to a git repo I can keep up with the ubuntu kernels as I see fit.

KDE's bluetooth sucks, but blueman does what I need. Same with KDE's network
manager. Pull in Gnome's and I've got a great little system.  It's a shame
that Ubuntu simply cannot get audio working and that they push the bleeding
edge a little much (again see Paul's comments -- all VERY valid)... it's still
the best distro for the masses (and most geeks, IMO).

-A.