[kwlug-disc] Android everywhere ...

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Sep 11 15:45:23 EDT 2010

But does it do all this without a data plan by sync'ing wi-fi to your
local computer and magic happening from there? (Sync'ing into
kmail/kontact/evolution/whatever first, then going to sky?)

Otherwise, I'm not paying $45+ per month for a data plan, and will
never get it.

Mind you - when I'm away from the computer, I'm away from the
computer. I don't WANT to be connected all the time, and will not.
(When someone needs me NOW, they can phone, or txt, me. Otherwise, it
can wait 'til I get back or finish what I'm in the middle of. Your
emergency is not necessarily my emergency.)

So, apps, and I do use them, must be entirely self-contained, with no
need for network access. And, as a result, do whatever sync'ing they
need to when next I get within wi-fi range of home.

I'm guessing Android is not here yet. And I'm suspecting it never will
be. (Rogers/Bell have no reason to sell them / allow them on their
network, otherwise.)

What plan are you on? i.e. Rogers Pay As You Go only allows WAP
internet (only specific sites available), while regular plans allow
the entire internet.  I'm guessing WAP only would seriously break Android?