[kwlug-disc] Android everywhere ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Sep 11 16:05:04 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> But does it do all this without a data plan by sync'ing wi-fi to your local
> computer and magic happening from there?

Yes!

I am using WiFi almost exclusively for this.

> (Sync'ing into kmail/kontact/evolution/whatever first, then going to sky?)

Don't know about these applications specifically, but Google Contacts allow
for importing (and exporting) from CSV files. So you do that on your PC, and
bingo, they appear in your phone.

But, once you get your stuff in Google Contacts, you can take it to the sky
with you, while you are offline.

Otherwise, I'm not paying $45+ per month for a data plan, and will never get
> it.

No need for that, because you can do all that over WiFi.

If you feel the urge to post that Facebook picture right now, then you can
do that over mobile data of course. Rogers Pay As You Go offers a
"smartphone" thing which costs $2 daily pass (24 hours for 20MB) or a $7
weekly pass with 120MB. So you can do that on demand if you want.

When you try to connect to mobile data in your phone, you will get an SMS
message saying that you don't have a plan, and a URL to click. The URL lists
the above 2 options for you, and you click on the one you want. Done!

> Mind you - when I'm away from the computer, I'm away from the computer. I
> don't WANT to be connected all the time, and will not. (When someone needs
> me NOW, they can phone, or txt, me. Otherwise, it can wait 'til I get back
> or finish what I'm in the middle of. Your emergency is not necessarily my
> emergency.)

You can turn off notifications for mail messaging coming to your computer if
you wish, and you are back to what you want.

> So, apps, and I do use them, must be entirely self-contained, with no need
> for network access. And, as a result, do whatever sync'ing they need to when
> next I get within wi-fi range of home.

When you install an app, it lists the permissions that this specific app
need (including network access, ..etc.). You can decline the app if you
wish.

Even if you install such an app, you can turn off mobile data, and you will
be offline and not get charged data fees.

> I'm guessing Android is not here yet. And I'm suspecting it never will be.
> (Rogers/Bell have no reason to sell them / allow them on their network,
> otherwise.)

They are all over the place. Check this week's flyers.

Or check here, there are tons of them.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/best-buy-mobile/20006.aspx

My daughter got an HTC Desire, unlocked and uses it with Rogers. Telus sells
the same model with a plan. The Motorola Milestone I got is also unlocked,
but Telus sells it as well. There are other models from the big providers
(Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido). And there is nothing stopping you getting one
from Kijiji and using it with your provider (assuming it is GSM and accepts
a SIM card).

A quick Kijiji search shows some older models (LG EVE) for $140.

What plan are you on? i.e. Rogers Pay As You Go only allows WAP internet
> (only specific sites available), while regular plans allow the entire
> internet.  I'm guessing WAP only would seriously break Android?

I am on Rogers Pay As You Go myself.

I am fairly certain that WAP only will not work with Android.

But as I mentioned above, there is the daily/weekly pass on demand if you
need it. Otherwise, WiFi is ubiquitous enough.

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 09/11/2010 3:35 PM:
>
>> I have been using an Android phone for the last 10 or so days
>> (Motorola Milestone).  The phone is quite good, but there are
>> a few flaws with it.
>>
>> What really shines is the Android operating system.
>>
>> My plan was to write a full review sometime, but wanted to share
>> the gist of it sooner, after I saw this announcement by Google:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/tv/ (maybe US based only, but also
>> Android).
>>
>> Back to the phone: I love the operating system and the user
>> interface is very smooth. The Android Market has thousands
>> of apps that you can get for various things (bubble scale, compass,
>> Opera Mini browser, Facebook which you can post photos directly
>> without copying photos to the PC then opening a browser, then
>> uploading).
>>
>> It syncs your Google account, which includes email (Gmail), Calendar,
>> and Contacts. Add someone in the phone, and they appear in yuor
>> browser too. This means no cables are needed to sync your stuff,
>> it is done over WiFi or Mobile data (EDGE, GPRS or 3G). And that
>> means I can use it from Linux without worrying about "its software
>> works on Mac and Windows only". It also means you have a backup
>> all the time.
>>
>> Open the Google Maps application, click on your location icon, and
>> it will show you the street view of where you are.
>>
>> Obviously, all this will raise the "Google knows too much"
>>
>> One app is Google Sky does the same things that Glenn mentioned
>> earlier about the iPad (point it to the sky and it will show you the
>> objects,
>> constellations, ...etc.), so take that Apple!
>>
>> Short version: I am impressed! This will go places ...
>>
>> I think Google will (should) kill ChromeOS in favor of Android, which
>> is now established with an ecosystem around it, developers, market
>> and all.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com