[kwlug-disc] [To keep Bob delirious.] Was, & still could be: Re: New geek in the area

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Sep 9 19:33:07 EDT 2010

Four whoas.  Whoa!  Actually, your average Linksys router can probably support four
DLS connections bonded together with MLPPP before it pooches out.  And I use
"bonded" only in the loosest sense -- it's not true bonding, but "bonding" is a
convenient word for those of us with only a one-propeller beanie.

You purchase (rent?) four DSL lines (either on a regular POTS phone line or on a dry
loop) for $31.95 x 4, add the MLPPP charge of $4.00 x 4, four DLS modems (Acme
Telephone in Kitchener has a good price for a Speedtouch 516: $44.95 x 4 at
http://speedtouch.ca/ ) and connect them all with a Linksys router running
Tomato/MLPPP from http://fixppp.org .  Now you have up to 20Mbps download / 2.5Mbps
upload  with an 800 Gbyte/month cap.  Or if you pay $39.95 x 4 for Teksavvy's
Unlimited service there's no cap.  And you get a static IP with every MLPPP line.

Yes, Teksavvy is not only OK with this, they provide tech support, will sell you a
pre-configured router and everything.

Teksavvy started offering this unofficially a few years ago, and when it proved
immensely popular they charged an extra $4.00 per line and made it official, with
tech support.

In fact, while they were unofficially providing MLPPP they shook a few bugs out of
their Juniper switches, which had never been exposed to such a  load in real-life
before.  Juniper has fixed their firmware, and I've experienced rock-solid stability
from my single-link MLPPP connection.

Interesting discussions on DLSReports:

 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21727380-alakazam
 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22852135-Re-Maintenance-tomorrow-night
 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23325574-Re-More-MLPPP-goodness

and lots more where that came from.

--Bob.

On 9 Sep 2010 at 7:57 Insurance Squared Inc. <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote
about "Re: [kwlug-disc] [To keep Bob delir[...]"