[kwlug-disc] Announcement: (Alternate) Meeting Space for kwlug secured - King & William

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:43:55 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 10/05/2010 2:07 PM:
>> The advantage, of course, of not needing a sound system, is that those
>> forgetting to pay rigid attention to where the microphone is, no longer have
>> to.
>> A wireless headset might make a difference, but we don't have one, nor the
>> resources for one. Nor would it cover audience members who participate
>> throughout. Be it with announcements, or those posing questions.
> I find the bulky mic hard to carry all the time, and yes, hard to be near
> all the time
> as you move around.
> If the wireless thing is a shirt collar clip-on, the type that are head
> mounted, yes, they will make a big difference.
> How much does one of these cost, and is it compatible with the SJK sound
> system?
> Perhaps we can have totally voluntary donation to buy one of these. I know
> that 2bits.com would participate. Perhaps other companies can too.
> (And money is not icky if there are no strings attached).

I don't understand. We are kwlug. Why is this compatibility an issue?

Said another way ...
- anyone have a bluetooth headset?
  - or even a wired headset with a mini-stereo extension cord?
- can a computer be cabled out to the sound system?
  - easier to master one computer / sound system connection, perhaps
with many headset / computer connections.
- will this work / can it be trialled? (i.e. No cost to prototype the

Or have I just revealed my audio ignorance here?

By extension ... two headsets to the same computer? (Multiple
presenters, or pass the headset to the audience member with a question?)

Further ... if we ever want to record a meeting (for the site), do we
not have to overcome these technical hurdles in this way anyways? Let
alone a simultaneous camcorder feed?

(It may take us time to figure out how to use it? Penguins waddle,
after all?)