[kwlug-disc] Announcement: (Alternate) Meeting Space for kwlug secured - King & William

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:43:55 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 10/05/2010 2:07 PM:
>> The advantage, of course, of not needing a sound system, is that those
>> forgetting to pay rigid attention to where the microphone is, no longer have
>> to.
>>
>> A wireless headset might make a difference, but we don't have one, nor the
>> resources for one. Nor would it cover audience members who participate
>> throughout. Be it with announcements, or those posing questions.
>
> I find the bulky mic hard to carry all the time, and yes, hard to be near
> all the time
> as you move around.
>
> If the wireless thing is a shirt collar clip-on, the type that are head
> mounted, yes, they will make a big difference.
>
> How much does one of these cost, and is it compatible with the SJK sound
> system?
>
> Perhaps we can have totally voluntary donation to buy one of these. I know
> that 2bits.com would participate. Perhaps other companies can too.
>
> (And money is not icky if there are no strings attached).

I don't understand. We are kwlug. Why is this compatibility an issue?

Said another way ...
- anyone have a bluetooth headset?
  - or even a wired headset with a mini-stereo extension cord?
- can a computer be cabled out to the sound system?
  - easier to master one computer / sound system connection, perhaps
with many headset / computer connections.
- will this work / can it be trialled? (i.e. No cost to prototype the
idea.)

Or have I just revealed my audio ignorance here?

By extension ... two headsets to the same computer? (Multiple
presenters, or pass the headset to the audience member with a question?)

Further ... if we ever want to record a meeting (for the site), do we
not have to overcome these technical hurdles in this way anyways? Let
alone a simultaneous camcorder feed?

WE ARE KWLUG! WE HAVE THE EXPERTS! (Such as they are.) WE HAVE THE
TECHNOLOGY!

(It may take us time to figure out how to use it? Penguins waddle,
after all?)