[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Nov 4 23:38:59 EDT 2010

On 10-11-04 06:45 PM, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 16:31 -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:26:41AM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
>>> It's worth noting again that as I understand it, downloading music in
>>> Canada is perfectly legit as long as you do it for your self.  Uploading
>>> is a no-no, but downloading is fine.
>>>
>>> Thank our hidden media tax for that.
>> Our hidden media tax only applies if you burn the music to media. It
>> does not apply when you put that music on your iPod or on your
>> computer. Charlie Angus wants to extend the levy to these devices
>> (which kind of does not make sense since these are devices that can
>> store thousands of songs, be erased and used again) but that does not
>> exist right now.
> Makes me realize that for me, and I imagine a few others on this list,
> frequent Linux distro upgrades have been indirectly subsidizing the
> music industry for years.

A truly sad irony I learnt of this week:  An artist who has chosen to be
independent, so as not to feed the Corporate Media wolf, distributes her
work on CD - for which she pays the CD levy, which is distributed to
Corporate Media, not to independent artists like herself.  That's a
double insult, and she loses $ twice.

Yes, it is possible to request a refund of the CD levy (at least if CDs
are purchased for data use), but I don't know of anyone who has ever
done so.

> I find the levy to be cumbersome to understand in context of modern data
> storage. What if I burn it to CD *and* put it on my portable player?
> What if I buy one levy-laden blank disc for each 74-minutes worth of
> music, but don't burn it? What about if I buy one levy-laden blank disc
> for each 700MB of music...

We had this discussion in 2003.  No authoritative answers to those
questions then either.