[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 4 16:29:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:24:24AM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/4/10, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, big media! Thanks, Internet pirates!
>

> Blaming this on the illegal content sharing/commerce is aikin to
> supporting the abolition of cash because some thugs rob cash from
> banks.

I completely disagree on both counts. Firstly, cash is becoming
illegal (e.g. with passport applications).

Secondly, pirating is a huge problem -- you know people who download
TV and movies and music and so do I and so does everybody else on this
list. Now we are paying the price.

Yes, Big Media is using piracy as a smokescreen to snuff out
competition that would keep them honest. But let's not minimize the
contribution of our casual approach to media that was produced and
paid for by others, and then obtained without consent.

This will do nothing to stop those pirates, and everything to stop
people who are trying to redistribute open-source multimedia
applications openly.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org