[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Nov 4 18:45:21 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 16:31 -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:26:41AM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> > It's worth noting again that as I understand it, downloading music in
> > Canada is perfectly legit as long as you do it for your self.  Uploading
> > is a no-no, but downloading is fine.
> >
> > Thank our hidden media tax for that.
>
> Our hidden media tax only applies if you burn the music to media. It
> does not apply when you put that music on your iPod or on your
> computer. Charlie Angus wants to extend the levy to these devices
> (which kind of does not make sense since these are devices that can
> store thousands of songs, be erased and used again) but that does not
> exist right now.

Makes me realize that for me, and I imagine a few others on this list,
frequent Linux distro upgrades have been indirectly subsidizing the
music industry for years.

I find the levy to be cumbersome to understand in context of modern data
storage. What if I burn it to CD *and* put it on my portable player?
What if I buy one levy-laden blank disc for each 74-minutes worth of
music, but don't burn it? What about if I buy one levy-laden blank disc
for each 700MB of music...

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>