[kwlug-disc] KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group new content notification: 2010-05-27 18:05

webhost at kwlug.org webhost at kwlug.org
Thu May 27 18:05:39 EDT 2010

Greetings mail-forum-merge,

Recent content - 2 new posts

1. Installing a Lexmark x1155 using the z600 driver
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/742 ]

used it successfully on varios versions of Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint and
Puppy Linux, so I am certain that it should work in most distributions.
Here are the step by step instructions:

Ensure that the following commands are installed, if not, install them
using your distribution regular mechanism: rpm2cpio, cpio, ldconfig.
e.g. sudo aptitude install rpm2cpio
If you are using Ubuntu Karmic or newer: Go to the Jaunty repository
page for ibstdc++5 and download the package from your preferred mirror:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download [1] and
install the downloaded package
If you are using a different distribution, ensure that libstdc++5 is
installed
Download the attached file: install_lexmark_Z600.sh.tar.gz
Extract the file: tar -xvzf install_lexmark_Z600.sh.tar.gz
Execute the installation script: sudo ./install_lexmark_Z600.sh
Restart cups using your distribution regular mechanism (or reboot the
box). e.g. sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
Add the printer using your distribution's regular mechanism. e.g. under
Ubuntu and Mint "Administration | Printing". Ensuring that you select
Lexmark as Make and Z600 as the driver
Enjoy!

Full Story:
Before I started (for the second time) playing with Linux in 2004, I
bought a computer. It came with a Lexmark printer.
I almost never use this printer so I haven't seen the need to replace
it specially because I found the drivers and installation instructions.
So I wrote a small script that installs it for me. It has worked
flawlessly up until Mint 9 Isadora/Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid (I skipped Mint 8
and Ubuntu 9.10). It took me an extra few minutes to figure it out why
it was failing but I finally got it.
Up until Jaunty Ubuntu included the library libstdc++5; but since
Karmic, Ubuntu removed it from the repositories. This library is needed
so I downloaded it directly from the Jaunty repository:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download
The other surprise in Lucid/Isadora was that when I tried to print, it
complained about insecure file permissions for the filter so in the
script I added setting the appropriate permissions (555) to
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600
I hope this helps. The following printers are confirmed:
 Lexmark 5700 (black & white only)
 Lexmark X1100
 Lexmark X1110
 Lexmark X1130
 Lexmark X1140
 Lexmark X1150
 Lexmark X1155
 Lexmark X1180
 Lexmark X1185
 Lexmark Z513
 Lexmark Z515
 Lexmark Z715
 Lexmark Z55
 Lexmark Z615
 Lexmark Z705
 Lexmark Z605
 Lexmark Z600
 Lexmark Z25
 Dell A920
 Z65 (z65 driver)
 Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)
 Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download

---

2. Ubuntu Lucid Lynx printer troubleshooting wizard was quite helpful
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/743 ]

In my previous post I explained how to install the Lexmark printer
drivers in Ubuntu/Mint.
What I left out was how was I able to very easily identify what was the
problem when all was finally installed and things weren't working.
It really came down to the Printer troubleshooting wizard included in
Ubuntu/Mint.
After I installed everything as I had done before, my printer icon had
an ! (exclamation) mark and when I tried to print it would just give me
an error. I decided to press the "diagnose" button not expecting too
much out of it. After all, I've never found such a button useful under
any MS Windows OS/application.
The wizard gave me some recommendations, then it asked me if I wanted
to turn on debug mode. I accepted, tried to print the test page and
after that it showed me the CUPS log! There I was able to find the
error, Google it and solve my problem.
I was pleasantly surprised. Kudos to the people that figured out how to
make a useful wizard.

--
This is an automatic e-mail from KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux
User Group.