[kwlug-disc] Fwd: [TLUG]: Dlink DIR-825 wireless router one-day sale $119.99

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 14:58:37 EDT 2010

--- On Fri, 5/21/10, Insurance Squared Inc. <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> A one gigabit router doesn't in the end provide anything useful that a 10/100 does, right?

I was planning to wire Gigabit at home but re-thought it based on the following:

- When you talk about going out to the Internet, you are right. Actually I don't even get why they discontinued wireless G for people that have just one or two devices.

- When we are taking about transferring data internally, then you are bound to the HDD speed so unless you have a RAID with perfect geometry, you may not get the full speed.

- If you have multiple devices talking to other devices concurrently, then you may use the Gigabit bandwith.

So, bottom line, still faster than 100 Mb but unlikely you will fully utilize it at home at this point.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx