[kwlug-disc] Linux capable Wireless N routers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat May 8 17:18:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I also know from experience that too much complexity in one device is also
> bad - especially as the order of processing becomes significant, and/or
> processing interacts and increases complexity. Where that point is, for each
> person, is probably different. And/or as flexibility requirements (e.g.
> traffic control / monitoring / filtering / directing) increase, richer
> interfaces require more capacity than may be present in (cheap, retail)
> black boxes.
>
> e.g. If you end up wanting to run, nmap, snort, mrtg, rrdtool, and I forget
> all what else. Plus this, that, and the other thing.

Agreed.

I don't plan on running many things. Only having the ability to troubleshoot
down to the client computer when needed. Nothing more fancy than that.

> Consider too, will the 4 ports be enough, or are you ultimately going to
> cascade to additional switches anyways.

Already have an 8 (or was it 16) port Gigabit switch for the home LAN, so
even a router with a single LAN port will do.

OTOH, regardless of what else you do, you want the hardware to provide
> 802.11n (2.4 & 5) to the house.

I am conflicted on the 5GHz stuff though. The reason is that I could never
get the router and the old 2.4GHz cordless phone to co-exist peacefully.
Everytime the phone would ring, the WLAN would disconnect. Very annoying.

I bought a 5GHz cordless phone, and things have been stable since.

So, may not even run Wireless N on 5GHz because of that.

> So it's not like it's going to go to waste. e.g. it could ultimately become
> the hardwired DMZ gateway while providing wi-fi. Or something.
>
> $139.99 -
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=020515&sid=hias6sgsd884bu60c5a5no2dd1

This is the D-Link DIR-825 that I linked originally to. Same price at
Futureshop.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.