[kwlug-disc] Linux capable Wireless N routers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat May 8 16:45:36 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 05/08/2010 3:45 PM:
> Well, interesting ideas.
>
> But I don't want more devices to run and administer. Keeps things simple.
> Less power consumption, ...etc.
>
> Less is more, complexity is bad ...

I do get that, believe me.

I also know from experience that too much complexity in one device is
also bad - especially as the order of processing becomes significant,
and/or processing interacts and increases complexity. Where that point
is, for each person, is probably different. And/or as flexibility
requirements (e.g. traffic control / monitoring / filtering /
directing) increase, richer interfaces require more capacity than may
be present in (cheap, retail) black boxes.

e.g. If you end up wanting to run, nmap, snort, mrtg, rrdtool, and I
forget all what else. Plus this, that, and the other thing.

Consider too, will the 4 ports be enough, or are you ultimately going
to cascade to additional switches anyways.

OTOH, regardless of what else you do, you want the hardware to provide
802.11n (2.4 & 5) to the house. So it's not like it's going to go to
waste. e.g. it could ultimately become the hardwired DMZ gateway while
providing wi-fi. Or something.

$139.99 -
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=020515&sid=hias6sgsd884bu60c5a5no2dd1