[kwlug-disc] Linux capable Wireless N routers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 12 00:36:33 EDT 2010

Been poking at this further.

Still wish there was someplace local I could just walk in, buy a
RouterStation Pro, even if a bit more, and just be done with it.

Well ... maybe not ... seems no matter what you get, OpenWRT
pre-installed or not, doesn't necessarily mean latest and greatest, in
the sense that backfire is out, so most everything will need updating,
and it's not all fire and forget. Maybe I'm just whining, but there's
only so many hours in a day to keep learning new stuff. OK, yes I'm
whining. Deal.

Poking about the DIR-825 on openwrt notes (minor) problems with USB
(need an extra package), and flaky 5GHz. Also, specs. at D-Link note
it's still 802.11n draft. <sigh>

One thread https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22897 mentions
alternative of:

Netgear WNDR3700:
-
http://netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNDR3700.aspx?detail=Specifications
- $180
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=030012&sid=4opc30nkkumoroo5v9u9p0olu4
- Googled review
http://www.digitaltrends.com/networking-and-wi-fi-reviews/netgear-wndr3700-review/
- http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/netgear/wndr3700
- 2 wi-fi's, for private & public
- says 802.11n 2.0. i.e. Not 'draft'.
- "The Netgear WNDR3700 looks awesome: the performance is great (both
throughput & range), has dual radios (a 2.4/5 GHz one, and another 2.4
GHz one), and has 3x3 MIMO antennas. The WNDR3700 actually ships with
OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09, albeit with a proprietary customizations", then
it says (forum post) "While there have been mainline OpenWrt svn
commits adding various functionality for the WNDR3700, it doesn't
appear as if the WNDR3700 functions when flashed with anything newer
or not provided by Netgear.", which doesn't seem to jive with the
material on the rest of the site. Date of that post is 2010-01-01.
- "3x3" (antennas) appears to be important for max'ing speed (450
Mbps). Netgear has it, not D-Link.

LinkSys WRT400N:
-
- $130
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=023426&sid=4opc30nkkumoroo5v9u9p0olu4
- not gigabit

LinkSys WRT610N (not mentioned in thread), appears to be the gigabit
version.
- $150, after $20 rebate:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=019173&sid=4opc30nkkumoroo5v9u9p0olu4
- searching google "wrt610n /site:openwrt.org" reveals a single hit, a
long forum post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=16733
- broadcom. Next.

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (mentioned later in thread):
- $80
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_365&item_id=026991&sid=n3biiqd1j3clkstvo5kltqns80
- http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

Looks like the Netgear WNDR3700 is a viable, but more expensive,
alternative to Khalid's (proposed) D-Link DIR-825, keeping gigabit.
Same for TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, which is only $80, but is 32Mb instead
of 64Mb. RouterStation Pro is 128Mb.

Don't see anything on QoS for TP-Link, nor for DIR-825 ('though I seem
to remember seeing it at some point). WNDR3700 shows QoS in specs.

Flash is 16MB+4 Negear, 32+8 TP-Link, 64+8 D-Link. Only the Netgear is
3x3 (450Mbps) - Don't know enough about that yet, I presume it's
bonding 2.4 & 5 GHz.

All comments, suggestions, thoughts, clarifications, welcome.