[kwlug-disc] ipod sync under linux

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:32:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Insurance Squared Inc.
> <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
>>
>> What software package should one use to control/sync an Apple Ipod under
>> linux?
>
> I went through this process a few years ago, when my daughter won a 3rd
> generation iPod Shuffle (or was it 4th?).

Quite a bit has changed although I'm less familiar with the shuffle
models. In general, the cryptographic key (which I believe is tied to
the device's local iTunes library) has been broken. There was a period
of a year or more where the players available for purchase were not
accessible in Linux. I have a current generation Classic that I picked
up last fall and I am able to sync with Amarok. I believe the
necessary package is gtkpod or libgpod. You can use the GUI gtkpod
although I believe, Amarok, RhythmBox and probably other media players
rely on library package to sync with iPods.

I think it's quite a bit different for the iPhone 3G and up or for the
Touch. Doable, but a lot more work I understand. I haven't researched
since the fall when I was trying to determine whether an iPod classic
would work for me (I have a MacBook in the house as a fall back had it
failed).

Of course, you should check to see if your iPod is supported:
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Supported+iPods
Hmmm, I think mine is a third generation classic and not even on the
wiki so ymmv.

There's also rockbox.org if you have compatible hardware and are so inclined.