[kwlug-disc] ipod sync under linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 16 11:59:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> What software package should one use to control/sync an Apple Ipod under
> linux?

I went through this process a few years ago, when my daughter won a 3rd
generation iPod Shuffle (or was it 4th?).

What I found at the time was that up to 2nd generation, iPods worked fine
with Linux. Starting with the 3rd (or 4th) generation, they placed a
cryptographic key that makes the device work only with iTunes, meaning that
you are limited to a Mac or Windows to interface with your iPod. Linux will
still see the iPod, but as a USB memory device only. You can transfer songs
to it, but the iPod will not recognize them as songs, nor show them
anywhere.

We ended up with a Windows partition for iTunes, since she refused to
replace the device with a more standard MP3 player.

I have heard that Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome) does support iPods via Rythmbox.
See here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

I have not tried it first hand yet.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin