[kwlug-disc] Postfix on a laptop

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Jun 12 11:52:03 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 22:21 -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> This sounds like using a sledgehammer to hang a picture frame.  I like.
> But running postfix only for outgoing mail is a little bit of overkill.
>
> You might be better off having your machines send their own mail to
> Google with a command line client like msmtp:
> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html

Except AFAIK msmtp doesn't buffer during disconnects. It either passes
through or it fails, immediately. My laptop might not be on a network,
but I will eventually want to get my cron errors.

SMTP had disconnected operating in mind when it was designed, which is
why I went decided to go the full MTA route.

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>