[kwlug-disc] Postfix on a laptop

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Jun 12 12:22:38 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 11:52 -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 22:21 -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> > This sounds like using a sledgehammer to hang a picture frame.  I like.
> > But running postfix only for outgoing mail is a little bit of overkill.
> >
> > You might be better off having your machines send their own mail to
> > Google with a command line client like msmtp:
> > http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html
>
> Except AFAIK msmtp doesn't buffer during disconnects. It either passes
> through or it fails, immediately. My laptop might not be on a network,
> but I will eventually want to get my cron errors.
>
> SMTP had disconnected operating in mind when it was designed, which is
> why I went decided to go the full MTA route.

Good point.  I've never used msmtp in offline environments.

Why don't you have postfix send directly to Google?  It should work from
anywhere if you are using TLS authenticated mail.  Instructions for
setting up postfix for that are here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72&highlight=relayhost