[kwlug-disc] Postfix on a laptop

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 11:37:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Lori Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 17:25 -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
>> The problem now is my laptop. I need to either (1) open up a port to my
>> home server and do some sort of authenticated relaying, or (2) replicate
>> my gmail forwarding to my laptop.
>
> You might be better off having your machines send their own mail to
> Google with a command line client like msmtp:
> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html

I do something similar to this. I use an SMTP bouncer (I'm pretty sure
it's the same
thing as msmtp) called ssmtp to send mail from a different host than
the one that
I'm writing the mail on. To illustrate
1. The server for my @uwaterloo mail account is mail.student.math.uwaterloo.ca
2. I compose my mail on csclub.uwaterloo.ca because the software environment
    is better there
3. `ssmtp` acts like sendmail to my MUA (mutt) so that I can pretent I
have a local
    MTA
4. `ssmtp` connects to mail.student.math to get my mail sent from the proper
    machine, regardless of where I'm logged in or originally composed my message