[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Jun 5 21:16:57 EDT 2010

At 11:49 2010-06-04, Khalid wrote:
>So, what I do now on VHS will become impossible, and if I try to
>workaround it, I am a criminal.

I am sure Khalid was stretching a point and, further, I am sure the
people in this community recognize one significant difference between
copying VHS (and audio cassette tapes) and copying digital media.
With the former there is an inherent introduction of error in the
process and resultant loss of fidelity. With the latter, digital
media, as we all know, the copy is an exact - error free - image of
the original. Hence, pirates, the assumed targets of this
legislation, can make exact - error free copies - of original media.

This distinction is not readily evident when the usual talking heads
in the media are kicking things around. And I would think that some
of the suits in Ottawa, similarly, do not realize the difference. I
would suggest that any lobbying would be careful to avoid the analogy
or, as best as possible, try to clarify the distinction.

Regards.
John Johnson