[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 5 21:23:33 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> At 11:49 2010-06-04, Khalid wrote:
>
>> So, what I do now on VHS will become impossible, and if I try to
>> workaround it, I am a criminal.
>>

> I am sure Khalid was stretching a point and, further, I am sure the people
> in this community recognize one significant difference between copying VHS
> (and audio cassette tapes) and copying digital media. With the former there
> is an inherent introduction of error in the process and resultant loss of
> fidelity. With the latter, digital media, as we all know, the copy is an
> exact - error free - image of the original. Hence, pirates, the assumed
> targets of this legislation, can make exact - error free copies - of
> original media.
>
> This distinction is not readily evident when the usual talking heads in the
> media are kicking things around. And I would think that some of the suits in
> Ottawa, similarly, do not realize the difference. I would suggest that any
> lobbying would be careful to avoid the analogy or, as best as possible, try
> to clarify the distinction.

I was not stretching it.

Yes, there are differences, but look at the big picture: I am now able to
watch something that is legal to record. I am able to loan the copy I made
to a friend.

I will no longer be able to do that because of a broadcast flag, HDMI
encryption, DVD encryption, and what not. Locks after locks after locks.

Because the technology allows an exact copy does not mean they should change
the laws to limit what the consume would do.

I don't mind if they criminalize resale of copies (what is meant by the
modern term "piracy", like what happens on the street sides in Hong Kong, or
warez sites). But beyond that, there shouldn't be TECHNOLOGY LOCKS and then
LAWS WRITTEN against all consumers.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.