[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 4 16:31:45 EDT 2010

My point is that I can now record anything that is displayed on my TV.

But because the bill allows this:

A television broadcaster could also air a program with a code inserted into
it that would prevent it from being recorded, or that would delete it from a
PVR after a certain amount of time. It would be illegal for consumers to
attempt to circumvent those codes.

(Taken from here)
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/02/copyright-bill-clement-montreal.html

Then broadcasters will eventually go to that and there would be no way to
record much.

Think about the shift from VHS to DVD: VHS had no protection whatsoever,
once DVD came by, we started having region codes so they can enforce higher
prices in different regions. And then there is the encryption so people
can't copy stuff they could do before. Then now we have the HDMI thing too.
And it goes on and one.

Forget that the technology (analog vs. digital) did now allow it: once it
does, then copyright conglomerates will misuse the technology to the maximum
extent.

I hope I got the point across.

(Aside: when I searched google, your IRC channel shows up. Cool! See here
http://www.google.com/search?q=bill+c-32)

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>  I believe you can still do what you do with VHS. Recording an analog
> signal that has no protection mechanisms is not forbidden in this bill.
>
> So as long as you have analog TVs, they cannot really do anything about it.
> It will be different when the signals between the cable box or satellite
> receiver
> and the TV are also only digital and the signal is protected.
>

> On 06/04/2010 11:49 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> Let us not forget that in the current bill, broadcasters can put a flag
> that prevents their stuff from being recorded.
>
> So, what I do now on VHS will become impossible, and if I try to
> workaround it, I am a criminal.
>
> How soon before all broadcasts become like that?
>
> Not a balanced bill at all.
> --
> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
> 2bits.com, Inc.
> http://2bits.com
> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com