[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri Jun 4 20:32:02 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----

> Saw a comment on TV the other day: Apple Store has stopped selling DRM
> music. People don't buy - too inconvenient to copy to their iPod /
> wherever. So, if I understand this correctly, DRM has failed. In
> music. How do we get to the same place, everywhere else.

I wish. Take your shiny new HDTV with it's sexy high-speed digital HDMI port. See that same port on your Blu-ray player? Yup encrypted with HDCP. You want to capture off your Blu Ray player you better pay the HDMI group for a key. What's that they won't give you one?

Additionally, the HDMI group can make the HDMI port on your TV useless to your Blu-ray player, remotely.  That spec I've read and it's true. Oh sure they would be fools to disable all the Panasonic TVs out there, but then why's it there if they don't intend to use it?

I voted with my money without knowing it.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware