[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jun 4 20:29:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 08:12:09PM -0400, Joe Wennechuk wrote:

> Do I have to throw away backtrack, and remove any instance of the
> ISO. I will be a criminal for possessing this?

Looks like a penetration testing distro.  I don't think C-32 covers that
directly.  (I am not a lawyer, etc, etc)

If Backtrack put DRM on their ISO and required you to unlock it through
their store, then it would be illegal to crack the DRM to use the disk,
under the new law, even if you needed to crack it in order to use it on
your hardware.

That's the problem with DRM in law.  Most of the "bad stuff" is already
illegal under copyright.  But with DRM, copyright holders can make
even the "good stuff", such as portability and interoperability and
archival, illegal.

- Chris