[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 19:34:41 EDT 2010

Chris Frey wrote, On 06/04/2010 7:13 PM:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:37:30PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> Palatable alternatives must also be proposed.
>
> Palatable to whom?

Palatable such that the politicians don't pass it into law as it
stands. That, in the end, is all that matters. Doesn't matter whether
you agree, disagree, or whatever - it is the politician's perspective
that you must address so that they don't vote in favour.

You do that so that it is in their best interests to not vote in
favour. Presumably through some combination of (a) citizen's voice get
louder than the lobbyists/industry, (b) citizen proposals mitigate
industry concerns to some extent, making (a) more likely.

All that matters is getting your politician to vote the way you want.
Turfing them out after they vote the way you don't want ... is too
late. Good luck repealing anything.

All I'm suggesting is rather than reinventing the argument wheel (in
the list), refer to and leverage (and enhance) what's already out
there. i.e. We don't have to first convince anyone that our particular
post or viewpoint is credible or authoritative, if we can reference
other 'experts.'