[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jun 4 19:13:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:37:30PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Is local reinventing of the wheel (analysis, it's bad because) effort
> better spent in enhancing efforts such as Geist's?

I like the idea of many voices from all directions coming at many MP's.
This will make more of an impact than just one man representing the
masses, I suspect.

The more individuals and groups that write, the better.

> Palatable alternatives must also be proposed.

Palatable to whom?

If enforcing DRM with law causes actual harm, isn't it preferrable that
it is eliminated altogether, regardless of treaty?

> So, it's insufficient to say "It's bad because." without "You can
> accomplish the desired impact via <x> instead, which is more palatable."

But the industry's desired impact is incompatible with the public's needs
and rights.

DRM by itself is bad enough.  Enshrining that poison in law is evil.
Why would we want to appease industry by proposing only half of the chains
as the starting point for our negotiation?

The rest of C-32, from various reports, is a vast improvement over previous
attempts.  That did not come from appeasement, in my opinion, but from the
shock that the government got over the huge protest last time.  Yet all
that carefully crafted balance is lost if DRM remains.

- Chris