[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 18:37:30 EDT 2010

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 06/04/2010 2:46 PM:
> [...]
.
.
.

In some ways, going about things this way is ineffective. (Not that
I'm suggesting it be stopped.)

I don't disagree with the premises, and certainly full speed ahead,
but alternatives need to be floated as well.

IIUC, and as far as I can tell, I have two basic problems:
- the cracking of digital locks for purposes legal if the digital lock
wasn't there.
- giving my buddy the same ability.

I'm paraphrasing 'urban legend' here - something like what is proposed
  must be passed to honour our 'treaty obligations' and to get the
industry lobbyists off the politician's back.

So, proposals must include alternatives that accomplish those two
objectives, or we're doomed.

Problem: The industry is immovable on the digital lock (and its
provisions).

Solution (unlikely): It is better for the politician to not give in to
the pressure. I have no idea how you get there. [Or provide the
industry with another means to accomplish the same thing / what they
want - chicken and egg there.]

So, it's insufficient to say "It's bad because." without "You can
accomplish the desired impact via <x> instead, which is more palatable."

Is local reinventing of the wheel (analysis, it's bad because) effort
better spent in enhancing efforts such as Geist's?

Looking to the future, presuming all content is going to be delivered
over the internet, presumably via streaming, the desire will be to
capture that streaming. And, of course, doing so would mean breaking a
digital lock, and the future looks like where we are already.

The industry wants away from the consumer holding the content. They
want a continuous revenue stream, via pay per broadcast (no capture).
The consumer only wants to pay for the content once, and play it as
many times as they wish. Unstoppable force, immovable rock.

'Urban legend' seems to indicate this bill will ultimately pass. If
you don't like the bill, you must take the pressure off the
politician's back and/or provide more pressure from some other
direction. A negative approach, it's bad because, in and of itself, I
don't expect to be successful.

Palatable alternatives must also be proposed.