[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 21:52:45 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/3/10, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account)
> If I happen to own the door that I'm
> breaking the lock on, nobody should be tapping me on the shoulder.

That argument would not fly. You own the CD/DVD and can smash it if you want.

> Why should tinkering with the bits be any different?

Their argument is that you pay for the license to the music/video and the license limits what you can do with it.

If we start from there we may get somewhere.

The license is to restrictive.

They want to limit rights that you currently have such as: listening it in any device capable of playing it. Copying it for backup purposes, lending it to a friend to listen or view, for format transfer (Tape to CD to HDD to whatever) and many other rights.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx