[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Thu Jun 3 21:38:44 EDT 2010

On Thursday, June 03, 2010 05:34:52 pm Chris Frey wrote:
> Rather, remove the whole idea of digital locks being legally enforcable in
> the first place.
>
> Digital locks enforced by law are the equivalent of a two-class copyright
> system.  Those that make the locks make the rules, regardless of how
> balanced the rest of the copyright act is.

I agree. Breaking a digital lock should be no different than breaking a
physical lock. If I happen to own the door that I'm breaking the lock on,
nobody should be tapping me on the shoulder.

There's no argument over who owns the DVD. Or television. Or phone. It's mine.
If I want to smash it with a ball-peen hammer, nobody is going to stop me. Why
should tinkering with the bits be any different?

-A.