[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jun 4 02:22:41 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 06:52:45PM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/3/10, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account)
> > Why should tinkering with the bits be any different?
>
> Their argument is that you pay for the license to the music/video and
> the license limits what you can do with it.
>
> If we start from there we may get somewhere.

It is the copyright holders and media companies that need to remember
that it is us, as government, doing them a favour, by letting them have
a limited monopoly to encourage more works.

It is not the media companies doing us a favour by letting us buy
their precious DRM'd content.

By default, once we buy the disc, the bits are ours too... the
restrictions are just a temporary fiction implemented by the copyright
act, hopefully for the greater good.

- Chris